ONCE PLAYLIST

Posted on July 23, 2012 by in Blog, Young Adult

ONCE is officially in stores! Thanks to all who’ve tweeted, emailed, or facebooked me to send their thoughts and love. It’s been fun to hear all of the early reactions to ONCE, all the WHAT???s and WHY??? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?????s. I’m sorry for any pain the sequel caused you. Stay tuned for RISE, coming April 2, 2013. I promise I’ll make it up to you.

In the meantime, here is the official ONCE playlist. There’s some new songs and some old, but all of them remind me of Eve and this, the most romantic book of the series.

1.) Skinny Love (cover by Birdy)

This cover crushes me. It reminds me of the torturous place Eve’s in at the beginning of the novel.

2.) Swan Dive by Ani DiFranco

I’ve been obsessed with this song since high school. There’s a moment in the first part of the book when Eve sets out to find Caleb, and this song reminds me of that. It’s about risking everything for the person you love.

3.) Crosses by Jose Gonzalez

The imagery in this song reminds me of the first night Eve goes to meet Caleb in the City, how the streets are dark, how there are shadows in the windows above. His is the reassuring voice that sees her through.

4.) So Alive by Ryan Adams

This song is all energy. I love the lines “Stand beside me, stand beside me.” (Apologies in advance for all the intense Ryan Adams close ups)

5.) Sleepyhead by Passion pit (the acoustic version)

Sleepyhead was originally one of my favorite dance songs, but when I heard the acoustic version it nearly made me cry. Slowed down it’s so tender and intimate. The lyrics capture this simple, private moment between two people.

6.) The Trapeze Swinger by Iron & Wine

Eve makes a series of painful decisions over the course of the novel, and this reminds me of one of them. The line “Please, remember me” is repeated eight times.

7.) Breathe Me by Sia

This song is SAD. All caps, period at the end. There’s a moment at the end of ONCE where Eve is in intense pain, and this song reminds me of that.

8.) Seven Devils by Florence and the Machine

No EVE playlist would be complete without a Florence and the Machine song. This one builds to a slow, simmering rage. It perfectly captures Eve’s feelings in the last chapter of the book.

What do you think of this ONCE playlist? Are there any songs you’d add? Fire off in the comments!

7 Responses to “ONCE PLAYLIST”

1. Laura 23 July 2012 at 10:27 pm #

Beautiful playlist! Happy to see most of my favorite songs here πŸ™‚

2. Shannon 4 August 2012 at 7:18 pm #

At least tell us that Caleb is not dead :/ I would never have read the series if they kill the persons only love. Life is horrible, I like books with good endings,lol.

Great series but please don’t kill Caleb :(. Man…if only men were THAT sweet and loving truly! If mothers all raised their sons to be so gentle and caring πŸ™‚

DON’T KILL CALEB!!! πŸ™‚

3. Elle 6 August 2012 at 3:55 am #

Okay, So I had gotten the Once book from Amazon at like 1pm and I was done with it by 5pm. Does that tell you how amazing it is? I went to a barbeque and honestly, I think people thought I was crazy because of what I was doing. Okay, and *Spoiler Alert* I am going to say that it almost gave me a heart attack when I heard Caleb got shot. Maybe this Stark character has terrible aim and just grazed his arm or something. I just have to remain optimistic. πŸ™‚ Overall, fantastic writing! The Hunger Games used to be my favorite book series, but Eve has definately gained my affection!

4. Elizabeth 7 August 2012 at 8:09 pm #

OMG CALEB NNNOOOOO this book is starting to make me feel like im reading delirium for the first time again, please please please don’t kill him the books wont be the same without him and I don’t want to read another she falls in love all over and then the first boy comes back. You. made. me. cry. -.-

5. Michelle 17 August 2012 at 11:00 am #

Loved everything about Once. My heart was aching till the very last page. This list of songs fits perfect. I agree Florence and the Machine is a must. Thanks Anna!

6. Sarah 22 November 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Awwwwww I was sobbing please don’t kill Caleb it won’t be the same without him pleeeeeese. I am only 13 but I read the 1st and 2nd book in a day don’t kill him:(!!!

7. Geraldine 4 December 2012 at 8:28 am #

I absolutely love the Eve books ….I just finished once and was in tears on the last page ,I really hope that Caleb is not dead !